Time now to think about long term goals, and short term SMART objectives to get there - possible in this Round. That would be objectives that are:
- Specific - clear, we know exactly what has to be accomplished,
- Measurable - can measure it's completion,
- Achievable - a stretch, but something you have time and resources to reach,
- Relevant - supports the overall goal, and
- Time-bound - with a specific target date.
In other words, writing lots is too vague, writing 500 words a day is better.
My goals in life are varied, the writerly ones are to become a better writer and to become a successful (income earning) author. I'm targeting that for this year. Becoming a better writer means write regularly, get feedback on my writing, learn from that, and also learn from various books - fiction or non - and courses. Becoming a successful author means improving my writing so not only I like it better, but others do, and are so amazed that they will actually pay me for it. That means not just putting a few Flash Fictions on line, and stuffing each year'S NaNoWriMo novel in a drawer, it means polishing my writing until it squeaks, then sending it in to publishers. Repeatedly if necessary.
I also have a goal to enjoy the above process, and life in general, so will include some health and social goals under "Other".
I started ROW80 a year ago, and had a long list of objectives, more like a to-do list. I also tried using some non-SMART objectives for a cycle. Neither worked that well, so this time I'll try for a balance, as follows:
- Two Flash Fiction a week - 800 word average. I'll use the Flash Fiction Friday and Terrible Minds sites for inspiration - say Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- ROW80 check in's - Sunday and Wednesday morning
- Critique a story on Critters.org - Monday Morning
- Book clubs - have two a month, to read and critique
- Edit first novel, Due North, an hour a day. More would be better, I'll start small
- Send a story a week in to critters.org
- Submit a story a week on line. Sites found via Duotrope - I bought a subscription
- Daily yoga and core strengthening exercises - have a set routine for each.
- Band - rehearsal Tuesday nights, practice 1/2 hr a day.
- Have a few more vague objectives too. Writerly things, such as keeping up to date with writer/editor/publisher blogs I follow, reading how-to books, reading fiction (with a writer's eye) - but they will all fill in the day as needed, AFTER I do the two main writing/publishing items above. I also plan to drop in a few days a week at the coffee shop on the corner, to my local for beer, music, and conversation, and visit my grandkids.
- Travel - Newfoundland? A vague idea so far - bring pen, camera, and beer mug, get a B&B in St. John's for a few weeks. Or rent a room?