I’ve been following the campaign, and have decided that in my opinion, our best choice for Mayor is Alex Munter. He has considerable political experience, as well as a set of well linked goals/objectives/tasks that make sense for Ottawa. I think Chiarelli has passed his prime and O’Brien had neither depth to his platform, nor the political experience needed.
Please consider voting for Munter, and maybe even helping get out the vote.
If you have another preference, please get out and vote anyways.
I’ve included below a press release from Saturday, feel free to forward this email on to your friends and neighbours.
With 48 hours left to go until Ottawa decides, it has become crystal clear that on Monday night our city will have a new mayor.
This morning, a poll in the Ottawa Citizen confirmed Bob Chiarelli's support has crumbled, and that this race is a tight race between me and Larry O'Brien. It's possible Ottawa could end up with Larry O'Brien as Mayor for the next four years. For the sake of our city, we can't let that happen. As the Citizen pollster points out, the person who will win on Monday is the one who gets their supporters to the polls. That's why I'm sending you this urgent note to ask you to help.
Here's what you can do: E-mail, text or phone everyone you know to share this news and get them to vote on Monday. You can forward this message!
Volunteer now to help on election day. Call my campaign at 613-241-2489 or visit http://www.alexmunter.ca/ Vote on Monday if you haven't already done so. Check here to know where you vote:
Tell everyone you talk to that this is a very close election - their vote will determine the result. And the result matters - because it's about where we live and what kind of community we will be.
You know my vision for our Ottawa.
- I'll protect important city services, like libraries, public health, snow-clearance and community policing;
- I'll stop tax increases above the rate of inflation so we can control spending and maintain city services;
- I'll deliver and fix light rail, so it moves more people and serves more communities, and
- I'll make Ottawa the greenest city in Canada.
Here's what Larry O'Brien has said he'll do:
- Cut city services – they're a "target rich environment", as he said on CBC radio .
- Slash community agencies that help homeless people, as he suggested two days ago .
- Consider restarting pesticide spraying on public property, like parks, despite all the medical evidence of the risk to our children's health.
- Threaten libraries because they're not a core service, as he said at an Orleans debate.
- Cancel light rail, with no plan to fix Ottawa's transit problems.
I know Larry O'Brien's plan for Ottawa is not the city we want. In an editorial this week, the Ottawa Citizen worried about Larry O'Brien, "What city services would he eliminate to keep tax increases at zero? He wouldn't tell us."
This election will be won or lost in the next few days. Every vote counts. That's why I'm making this urgent appeal. I know you've been working hard for months, and I'm so grateful for your help. Now I'm asking you to make one last extra effort from now 'till Monday night.
Victory is in sight -- but only if we all make this last major push to mobilize and motivate our fellow citizens.