I wanted to add to my previous post on this to let my readers know what the end result was, both short and long term.
The sequence of events, as well as many good comments from supporters, is on my Flickr page.
Many of the affected artists visited the gallery to voice their displeasure. In addition, Simon Cole, of Show and Tell Gallery, went down - he handles the work for a number of the graffiti artists. Simon had to serve the gallery with a "cease and desist" letter on this - basically this is a warning of future legal action if the recipient does not comply. Usually within a very short time frame.
As a result of this:
- The show was taken down by May Karp (Sept 17)
- All the sales have been canceled
- The gallery will be sending written apologies to the artists
- They will also issue a public apology
- May Karp still states she didn't do anything wrong!
The reference for this was Canada's Copyright Act - a link to the on line version is here. (link updated May 11/13)