I seem to be stuck. Not writers block, no, just stuck with my objectives. Mainly the first one, editing my WIP. Which delays everything else it seems. Oh, and a day late again, but that's the new normal for me I think.
My editing went so well at the start of round 2 - clean table, sunny window, fresh breeze in the window, birds chirping in the garden, manuscript freshly printed. I worked through each scene, pen in hand, adding dialogue or description, little arrows and notes saying - move to next scene, add more emotion, or check online.
Now I'm back in my 'office', with cluttered desk, blinds pulled, a stack of paper covered with cryptic notes, warm spring days beckoning me out. And of course overlaying it all is the distraction of the Wide World Web. Damn you Al Gore. I've tried turning off my router - that helps until I need to check a fact for my WIP.
Problems are twofold I think - the location and the task. This 'work' area is surrounded by printers and papers, filing cabinets and photos, so is not somewhere I approach with 'here's where I write'. A separate writing area and computer would be nice, but I don't know anyone giving away their MAC. A MAC since it would merge so nicely with Scrivener and with my iPad. Maybe some de-cluttering would help, starting with longer cables so I can move some hardware off the desk top. As for the second part, the task itself, it's just harder I guess - capturing all those notes into the online version, shuffling around text, turning the creativity on for a paragraph of slick dialogue, then back to just cutting and pasting. Oh well - it is what it is. Enough analysis and bemoaning my fate - I've an update to finish here. Then on to my objectives.
- editing WIP - only about 20 pages into it - 300 to go. Clear the desk, then keep on truckin'.
- short stories - as mentioned, sold my first flash fiction - not for much, but it counts. Will follow two prompts now I think, Terrible Minds as well as Flash Fiction Friday's.
- blogs - several days behind on the ones on my list. Or, "only" several days behind, I guess.
- reading - fiction - got out the first in 'The People' series by Michael and Kathleen Gear, called People of the Wolf. I thought it might help for a book idea I have about early native civilizations in North America, but it is more fiction than research links for me. I did notice - now that I know more about writing - some awkward exposition sections where the authors add details of early skills or techniques. Doesn't really help the plot, just shows good research.
- reading - non-fiction. Got my library copy of Guns, Germs, and Steel. Second edition, some updates and additions, but a lot of duplications removed too. Good read so far.
- social media - as always, the challenge is to do more that is related to writing and less on other topics. I've gathered many interests and followers over the past few years, so easily get distracted by artists, musicians, mural painters, social activists, or just interesting people and things.
- exercise - more with spring here. Yes, can bundle up and walk in winter, but so much easier now. I did head over to MEC the other day - that's about 40 minutes away. And conveniently passes by the wine store and a coffee shop.
- todo - not getting this far down the list.
So - progress so far? Not so good. If by the end of the 80 days I want to be hitting my whole list, consistently, I'd better figure out how to get there. Maybe I need a new objective - distractions. Like visiting friends, sitting on a patio in the sun, or playing with grandkids. OK - need those too, especially the last one - it's a question of balance of course.