Just a quickie, and a day late at that.
It's the first long weekend of the summer here in the frozen north, a chance to celebrate the melting of igloos and lake ice, nationwide maple syrup festivals, and blackflies. As a retired person it mostly means remembering many stores will be closed on Monday. I did manage to finish another story for last Friday, and have done some reading. And socializing. I'm a fixture at my local, so can sometimes just sit in a corner - or the sun - and read and write a bit. My friends know I'm a writer, some even follow me online to read and comment on my stories. One of the bartenders is working on a novel, gave him a story to see if would trade for a beer. Haven't heard back yet. It's easy to barter if you're a plumber or accountant, less so for an artist.
- WIP - nope - still resting on that shelf. Might try a one-scene-at-a-time objective.
- Flash Fiction - did another one for Terrible Minds, for last Friday. It was a pulp fiction challenge - rockets. monsters, damsels, bazookas - over the top was a good thing. Added my Fairy Tale Folk in. I liked it, as did several readers. Took a copy to my local, friend said to give it to his buddy there with him. "He's a writer, too" was the comment. His friend read it carefully - with not a smile on his face. His feedback was that is was "interesting", and "not much room for character development". And he found a missing semicolon and a mis-use of "it's". So not a complete loss I guess. Was more amusing than discouraging - I think he's a writer within the Federal government here.
- Blogs - doing well -up to date today. Even left a few comments.
- Social Media - doing better at reading and commenting.
- Exercise - nice weather still, sandals broken in. Need to balance staying hydrated with staying aware of where bathrooms are - the joys of an aging body. Sorry - was that TMI?
- Reading - fiction - gave up 2/3 way through The Dream of Perpetual Motion, by Dexter Palmer. Was a 'didn't finish' at the meeting, as were others. Reviews loved it, we found the story details weak, buried at times, characters flat and uninteresting. I didn't care what happened to them - in fact I wrote a quck alternate ending on a post-it and left it where I stopped. Have registered with Goodreads, to log and rate my books. A friend - who reads a lot - likes their recommendations. I'll see how well they can guess my tastes.
- Reading - non-fiction - still working on The Hard Facts of the Grimm's Fairy Tales. Ordered a copy of it, as well as Guns, Germs, and Steel.
- other - not too bad with distractions this time:
- Hintonburg Economic Development Committee - finished an initial Facebook page for them, and grabbed a Twitter ID. Plan on publishing it today, Decided to do it at one of the main supporter's, the Carleton Tavern, using their free wi-fi and my iPad.
- sci-fi book club meeting. Met, reviewed, chatted about life, picked next one - Ready Player One.