Settling into my new community more every day it seems. I did a Facebook page this week for our local Hintonburg Economic Development Committee, as well as setting up a Twitter account. Then last night I met up with the other admins to launch it - at a local pub of course, one that's a big supporter. As part of my neighbourhood ramblings I do try to buy local whenever I can. We have a good selection of local merchants still - local as in their own business, not part of a chain. Hopefully this area doesn't become so trendy that they can't afford to be here - have already seen that with a couple of places. May to October we also have a farmer's market nearby - not necessarily cheaper than the supermarket, but fresher. And the produce is often sold to you by friends and family of whomever grew it. We have a good local bookstore too, Collected Works, that offers much more than books, in order to stay competitive. They have book launches, readings, book club meetings, and a small cafe area. Good selection of books in house and they will order. Usually that works OK, but I did have one book I waited several weeks for, then finally had to go in and cancel - with regrets. I ordered from Amazon, added in another I wanted and got free shipping, right to my door in two business days. I'll ask the book store who they ordered from, and if they can do Amazon too. Would even pay a bit extra for the convenience of picking them up there, rather than wait at home for a delivery. The two books are both research for some next novel ideas I am thinking about - The Hard Facts of Grimm's Fairy Tales, and Guns, Germs, Steel (2nd ed).
On to my check in details :
- WIP - it's resting
- Flash Fiction - did another one for Flash Fiction Friday. Had to use the words frenetic, hobbit, and cummerbund. And I added in The Fairy Tale Folk.
- Blogs - doing well - once I caught up was easier to say current
- Social Media - yup - I'll have some please.
- Exercise - I've seen some articles discussing how we are losing the war against obesity. Or even against being overweight. Diets, drugs - many try, but few succeed. They recommended to focus instead on exercise -ideally walking. Give the patient a pedometer, tell them to add 500 steps a day and come back in two weeks to see how they are doing. I do try to walk more here, but pretty casual so far. Found my pedometre, wearing it now as I sit at my computer. Nope - no change yet.
- Reading - fiction - nothing on the go. Next sci-fi is Ready Player One.
- Reading - non-fiction - almost done The Hard Facts of the Grimm's Fairy Tales, but have own copy now.
- other - not too bad with distractions this time - grandchildren, urban art photos, sit-coms.