OK folks, break will soon be over, the next ROW80 starts October the 1st. Time to think about setting some long term goals and specific objectives.
Last session I had some general goals and a long list of SMART objectives. I did realize that I could not meet every objective every day, so used them as a target, a reminder of areas to not forget about. I think I did well with that approach, but would like to change my focus a bit.
I believe that if you want to 'be' something, then 'be' it. If you want to be a writer, then be a writer, act like one. Write, edit, imagine, explore, read, learn, publish - just be a writer for a while, every day, and voila, you'll look back and be amazed. I have found that, being self-employed, I have the choice to avoid schedules and fixed tasks, or to impose some structure on myself. I've been choosing the former, and having fun - except when I agonize over my lack of progress on writerly things. All to say, I think it will help if I start the day with time for those writerly things, like writing and editing. I'm sure things like reading fiction and commenting on Facebook posts will find a way to sneak in just fine later in the day.
My long term goal is to be more of a writer and author. I am a writer now, and have published one (1) Flash Fiction so far, but I want to continue to develop my skills as a writer, and publish more. Another goal is to stay healthy - physically and mentally. And a third is to keep on top of chores - cleaning, laundry, bills. etc.
So - breaking this down:
- Editing - Due North, Due North 2
- Flash Fiction stories
- NaNoWriMo - November (outline October)
- Short Stories - general as well as Fairy Tale Folk series - review, sort, edit, submit
- Blogs - on writing, publishing, etc. Read and comment
- Facebook - ROW80 and other groups
- Podcasts - mostly on writing. Good while walking or cooking.
- Reading - fiction and non-fiction
- Courses – finishing Fantasy and Science Fiction soon, Intro Astronomy starts end of November
- Health - walking, diet, visit friends and family, entertainment
- Chores - the boring stuff. Cleaning, laundry, shopping.
A big list. Still have to think about priorities and times - I want to add enough structure to get things done, without feeling over managed.