I missed last Wednesday, just wasn't a lot to update it seemed. Not that much more now, but I think the point of these posts is to not just report, but to give us a chance to nudge ourselves, to be public about our successes and failures, to receive and give feedback. We're sort of halfway through the 80 days, so maybe a good post to reflect and refocus yet again!
I have been doing less writing this session, but doing more work on my courses. Not that I still don't have writing time - just doing less. My biggest workload is the Modern History course - very interesting, but lots of videos, notes to take, quizzes. I'm on week 4 of 15 now of it, so hate to drop out. But - it is free, and will come around again. I would also like to get going on editing, but that seems to be an early morning or nothing task - too easy to get distracted by life. As I am doing now - blogging instead of editing.
So - status for the past week:
- Editing - I have done a few more scenes on Novel #1, so I'm about 2/3 done now. I've been reading - off and on - The Writing and Critique Group Survival Guide, by Becky Levine. Not that I'm actually in a group, but I have been doing some online critiques, looking at what works and what doesn't work. Plus - the advice on what to look for when critiquing of course helps guide what to put in my own writing - or what to take out. I've also been reading as a writer for my two book clubs - again, good practice. All to say, my editing is getting better - when I do it - and I'm getting a good idea as to what to look for on the next few rounds. I'm still not completely happy with the overall structure - order of scenes, content, the relative focus of each one, positive or negative emphasis - but my editing program, Scrivener, now can print out index cards of the scenes to shuffle to my heart's content. That may be a good thing or a bad thing.
- Writing - no new Flash Fiction lately. I did do my book review for my Sci-Fi book club, and sent it in to our newsletter, along with a copy of a recent story. I'd edited the story based on some good feedback from the site Absolute Write.
- Other - a lot of other it seems.
- Started watching the series Combat Hospital - up to episode 10 now so should soon be finished.
- Courses - up to date - so far - on all three. Want to keep Astrobiology and Philosophy for sure.
- Book clubs - met to discuss Kiss and Make-up - by Simmons. Very interesting discussion on the book itself, on Simmons, on biographies, on the mystique of stars. Several good questions to the group - the final one being 'Would you do him?" Interesting responses. The discussion then wandered off - as always - this time ending up in a long discussion on how to fit a bra properly and where to buy one. And on the annoyance of age and sagging bits.
- Internet - once again tried to get Bell to send a technician to do an upgrade - process failed again. I decided to wait until they fix the process, rather than stay around for a third appointment.
- Health - doing OK - still walking, even if snowy, and watching the calories too. Pounds slowly slipping away.
Upcoming? I don't know - better resolve?