Sunday's check in - on Monday, as usual. Had a nice visit by my girlfriend, but she's gone back home now so it's time to get back to writing/editing. I'm just past the halfway point in my editing, and still agonizing over my various sub-plots. I find that looking at things from a scene/sequel view has forced me to focus and trim some parts, to make them contribute more to the story - a good thing! But I still have other sections that are nice little anecdotes and background, but seem just a little too wordy. I hate to trim them, but I must.
- Editing - as mentioned, starting to slash more.
- Writing - I'd submitted a short story to the newslettter of a national group I'm in, and won third prize! It was to be less than 1000 words, so was a challenge to add in all the turning points and other three act structural elements that I like to follow. A good exercise.
- Publishing - I was hoping to look at re-formatting my first book while my girlfriend was up, but her vertigo problems meant she had to minimize computer time. But, there will be other visits.
- Reading - Finished Not Wanted on the Voyage. Very good. Just starting Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I can't remember reading this before, but I must have. A great book, and a basis for the movie Blade Runner.
- Chores - I did lots in prep for The Girlfriend Visit, so now it's just laundry and pull some weeds out back. And work my way through all the leftovers, as I bought way too much food!
- Social - Big Visit went well. Nothing too extensive - up to the Gatineau's, drinks with mutual friends at my local, tour of the Experimental Farm, nice dinner, and just hanging out together. I met some friends at the pub the day after she'd left, to catch up on what they'd been doing. Unfortunately they were many quarts ahead of me, and politics came up. There was a lot of yelling to get some over-simplified points across, so I left - rather than feel bullied. I will get in a grandkids visit this week, and maybe a sleepover back here.
- Other - still some video games. Not as much Netflix. I did catch a lot of the Pan Am Games on TV (rabbit ears), in bits and pieces.