And so another Round draws to a close - well, almost. Did I do well? Sort of. When I joined several years ago I was detailed in my goals and objectives, as well as meticulous in my tracking. Now, not so much. Check-ins get missed, my focus wanders, objectives get changed - or dropped. But it is what it is. I still appreciate what direction it still gives to my writing, the friends I have made, and their encouragement. And I look forward to the next ROW, both as a participant and a sponsor.
In 2018 I'd like to nudge myself back into writing, be it flash fiction or short stories or a novel. After doing all three for a few years, and studying more on the craft of writing, I did improve the quality of my work, I think, but I also raised the bar for myself as to what was good enough as a first or second draft. My earlier Flash Fiction seem pretty rough to me now, but I need to remind myself that at least they got out there. And they were/are a great way to test drive story ideas and characters. I have ideas for some more stories, and good role models in friends that submit regularly. And I have several NaNoDrafts to work on - five in fact.
- writerly -Some editing was done, in spite of Christmas prep. And discussions of my current WIP with my girlfriend/editor.
- reading - Newspapers of course. And I have a new book from the library, The Professor and the Madman, by Simon Winchester, 'A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary'.
- games - Update - Logitech will replace my G27 wheel. So in the New Year I can be distracted by diving the roads of North America. Or Europe. Or the muddy logging roads of Russia. And of course, stream it all on Twitch.
- Netflix/Prime - I joined Amazon Prime, for the free/fast shipping, as I had to buy a last minute Christmas present. With it, comes Amazon Prime Time, their streaming service. My first choice on there was American Gods, based on the Neil Gaiman book. OMG, what a great series - writing, cinematography, and acting.
- health - still good. I may get a FitBit for Christmas.