I missed last Wednesday's check-in, what with a dying phone, busy train trip, forgotten medications, and a lost taxi driver. But I've moved on.
Let's talk about magic. It seems a good time, what with the various religious events going on this time of year, as well as the almost magical explosion of life in Spring. The magic I was thinking of, is the ability of us, as writers, to take the same ideas and observations and words that everyone has access to, and create a story - Abra-ca-da-bra poof!- that will entertain and move people. Yes, sometimes we fumble a bit, but it usually works quite well, to the amazement of others.
Objectives (writerly and an 'other' section):
- Write - Because I do enjoy it. I'll set a new and very modest target of 1h/day, early in the day.
- Write new material - one draft Flash Fiction a week. Story done and posted here. Titled A New Friend
- Edit existing material - to send in for publication - see below.
- Write better - Read about how to write, and get constructive feedback.
- My main source of writing info is a series of writerly blogs. Objective -stay current. Yup, still current.
- Continue with setting Flash Fiction prompts. Good for challenge, practice, and feedback. Objective - set a challenge a week. Prompt is set, based on a photo my little sister took.
- MasterClass on Storytelling, by Neil Gaiman. Completed watching #9 Dialogue and Character, #10 Character Case Study "October Tale", and #11 World-building. I read the notes on each episode too, but have not done the exercises yet.
- Publish/market - We publish partially for the glory and bags of money, but also for the feedback and increased marketability.
- I have many FF written already, here. I'll re-examine them, and send off one a week to some publishers. Sent a recent story, Taken for a Ride, to Bards and Sages Quarterly, as well as Tales from a Moonlit Path.
- Facebook ads - none.
- Amazon Marketing Services Campaigns on KDP -Some sales, but not a big profit on this yet.
- Sold a print copy of each of my two books, suitably inscribed. Also sold one online
- Read with purpose
- Objective - read and review a book a week. I read Mark of the Plague, second in a series. Light reading, but good.
- Better health
- It's spring now. Set Fitbit target to 3500 steps a day. Objective - 7 day average 3500. 7 day average 3600.
- Set sleep target to 7.5 hours, starting at midnight. Objective - 5 times a week. 7h, hit 6/7 days, and bedtime better.
- Stay social - That's a given, what with walking about, visits to local cafes and bars, and all my grandkids being in Ottawa. My Ottawa local and then some here in Toronto. I found a nice coffee shop to work in here too, with snacks and interesting people too. Visiting my girlfriend too, and Easter dinner company.
- Have fun - Gaming, Netflix - both indoors. Outdoors?
- Some Netflix, some gaming, but not much in Toronto. Watching hockey and women's 7 rugby instead.
- Chores - I added this to capture bigger jobs.