Yes, it's the last post of the Round, and several days late.
But I tried something different yesterday - reading one of my stories and posting it online. Video shown below, but no editing, so please excuse the occasional stumbles. Comments are welcome too. Feedback so far on Facebook is mostly positive. Some suggestions were slower, breaks between speakers, and more emotion. I read a recent Flash Fiction of mine, A Touch of Magic, prefaced with a few minutes outlining my ideas/concerns. I'll repost them below.
- length - my Flashfiction are 1000 words, so maybe 6-7 minutes long. One story at a time or 30 minutes worth? My two novels are over 50,000 words so would be several sessions. Or I could read from the classics, be it Dickens or Grimm's Fairy Tales.
- format -initially will use my Twitch streaming setup, with just a headset, and just export as usual to Youtube. What do I use for visuals - webcam of me reading? Just a static photo that relates to the story? A slide show of images?
- long term - Get a better mic, use something like Audacity to record and edit, tidy it up, and choose an online home - where do I start? Soundcloud? Stay on +Youtube? My blog as a link? Podcasts?
- monetize? Do I bother? Twitch people can pay to subscribe. Youtube -need lots and lots of followers, then run ads. Amazon Audible books need to use their ACX, only available in the US.
Status of objectives (updates in italics):
- Write - Because I enjoy it.
- Write new material - one Flash Fiction a week.
- Edit existing material - to send in for publication. 2h/d. A few sessions on my draft novel, reviewing and rating scenes as Scene or Sequel. Off to Toronto for a week Wednesday, so I will do more while there.
- Write better - Read about how to write, and get constructive feedback.
- Series of writerly blogs. Objective, to stay current. Doing okay, seems to be a Sunday thing, that I get busy reading soI can log it ;-)
- Write regularly - set a FF challenge a week. A challenge was set for me, for the FF contest mentioned above. And did another one last Friday - random first line of dialogue.
- Other - Masterclasses - None.
- Amazon Marketing Services Campaigns on KDP - Dump this? Not sure it's worth it,can't be bothered tweaking it. Paused for now.
- Give away stories. Yes. Found a few fans, so I give them reprints every week.
- Send in one story a week to a publication. Nope, nothing sent.
- Read with purpose
- Objective - read and review a book a week. I read Albatross, by Terry Fallis. Lots of stuff about pens, and golf. Boght another pen, a second nib, and more ink!
- Fitbit step Objective - 7 day average goal 4000. Not doing well lately.
- Set sleep target to 7 hours, starting at midnight. Still erratic.
- Eat better . And lose weight. Will try intermittent fasting - the no breakfast option.
- Stay social - That's a given, what with walking about, visits to local cafes and bars, and all my grandkids being in Ottawa. Met with people from my old home down. I remembered nobody, they didn't remember me, but I think we forged tsome nw freindships. Plus, I took our new LRT there and back. I joined the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society. Possibly a nerdy group?
- Have fun - Gaming, Netflix - both indoors. Outdoors?
- Netflix/Amazon - Mostly Grey's Anatomy.
- Gaming - 8:30-10:30 schedule. Lots, but no real schedule. I tried an ATS convoy online to drive to Area 51 on September 20th, but nobody else showed up.
- Vacation - Do at least mini-trips. Thinking.
- Chores - Canning. 12 pint jars of Tomato Chow-Chow. 6 quart jars of tomatoes. Sore back.