No, not the Dragonboat kind, I meant medically.
Got an email today my sister forwarded on - one of these we often see that claim "a friend told me this, pass on to 10 friends and save a life". In this case, makes sense to me, so here's the info.
Apparently there's now medication that can reverse or at least reduce the damage of a stroke -if given within three hours. The key is recognizing a possible stroke -and calling 911. The cues they use are STR:
If they fail any one test, call 911.
I did a Google check -apparantly the American Stroke Association does not endorse this - likely because it was based on only a small study. They don't dispute it either - just are neutral. They instead list a set of warning signs:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Seems like more to remember - I'd say stick with "STR " (smile, talk,raise)